Saturday, February 13, 2010

Engineers

Is anyone else out there married to an engineer? If so, this posting is for you.

First of all, let me start out by saying I love my husband, very much. I think he is smart, talented, funny and I am so thankful that I get to spend every day with him. With that being said, I have to say that sometimes he makes me crazy. You see, he's an engineer. And if you know an engineer, or are married to one like me, you know their brain functions in a totally different way than yours.

For example, when my husband explains things, they are VERY detailed. Like right now we have a spot on our wall torn up because the tape between two pieces of dry wall is coming loose and we need to rip it up and fix it so you can't see the seam. Quick, easy explanation right? This is what Ryan says.... When the builders taped and mudded they didn't get enough mud under the tape so it has started coming up. Now I have to pull the tape up, put new mud under, sand it to make it smooth and paint. That was short compared to what I usually get.

Ryan needs an ordered to do list and cannot be expected to do more than one thing at time. Some of this is his need to make me happy and do things when I want them done, but at the same time, he CANNOT do more than one thing at once, it's crazy. What is he going to do if we ever have another kid and they both want his attention at the same time!

Another quirky thing about my engineer is the way he puts things together. He finished a room in the basement for me, great right? It took him FOREVER. I know that even if we are in an earthquake nothing will fall apart in that room because Ryan put it together. One day my mom came over and went down to look at the room and was amazed at how quickly he had all the 2x4's up. His response was, yeah, now I just need to nail them all together. He had them all up and wedged in to place, ready for dry wall - without nails!

Ryan is pretty introverted, and I would say that is common in engineers as well. They are so hard to read. One of my friends' husbands is an enginner and we went and spent the evening with them one night and you know, I didn't know if he was just quiet and having a good time or if he was miserable. I am sure someone might think the same thing about Ryan, he's just quiet and it takes a while to get him out of his shell.

Some things I love about my engineer. He can take apart and/or put anything together. If it's broken, leave it to my husband to fix it (except cars - not his forte). Ryan is great with numbers. I pull out my calculator for almost everything, Ryan does it in his head. Another great thing about Ryan is his sense of humor - it is VERY DRY! Sometimes something he says will completely catch me off guard, it's so funny. I would say not a day has gone by that he hasn't made me giggle at least a little. So some of the quirkiness can make me a little crazy at times, but I wouldn't trade him for anything! Love you Ryan Alan!
Here's a funny clip about engineers:

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha, Steven is majoring in mechanical engineering at KU. I know what you mean, he is the same way!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE reading your comments, thanks for taking the time to leave one!