Sunday, September 12, 2010

Yellowstone

If you haven't been to Yellowstone, it is one place you have to go at least once in your life. I told Ryan that after vacationing in Yellowstone, it might be hard for him to get me to go on a vacation anywhere else. We spent two days there and that wasn't nearly enough time to enjoy all the beautiful scenery and wildlife - I feel like we just scratched the surface.

Yellowstone was a little difficult with a one year old. We spent most of the two days in the car driving through the park and only got out when there was something we had to see (animals, waterfalls, geysers, etc....) We didn't do any hiking - I would have liked to but it rained and I was a little scared of running in to bears. I think if Ryan and I went back with out Adrianne, we would do some hiking but we just didn't feel safe taking her off the main roads.

Speaking of bears... We saw a grizzly bear with three cubs! She was very far off, but thankfully there was someone with a high powered scope that let us get a good look at her. We also saw bison - TONS of bison, elk, pronghorn, coyotes, bald eagles and wolves. Everyone says we are lucky to have seen wolves at Yellowstone, but we saw lots of them. On Tuesday in Lamar Valley there was a pack of wolves that had chased an elk into the river after wounding her. We saw them on Wednesday still there waiting for the right time to go back after the elk who was trapped on the river bank. There was a huge crowd of people sitting on the hill near the river with their binoculars waiting for the wolves to attack. Poor elk. The park ranger said it could be days until something changes - it makes me wonder how long those people will sit there.

Other than the wildlife, my favortie part of Yellowstone was Old Faithful. I know, it's cliche, but I just love how big of a geyser it is and how it's so predictable - what a phenomenon.

I am so glad we finally took a vacation, we needed it and we had such a good time. Seriously, if you're looking for a good vacation spot, try Yellowstone - it truly is beautiful.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE reading your comments, thanks for taking the time to leave one!