If you haven't figured it out already by the numerous posts about The Mallards, the pair of ducks that live on our street and spend a lot of time in our front yard, I love them. They are spending more time in our yard this year than years past, probably because I feed them 3-4 times a day, so we spend a lot of time watching the ducks. Mr. Mallard is the sweetest thing ever - he will stand out in the bad weather and wait for me to put food out and then call for Mrs. Mallard so she doesn't have to stand out in the cold too long; and he always lets her eat first, making sure she gets enough before he eats. A couple weeks ago Mrs. Mallard made a nest and laid 10 eggs in the neighbors huge plant pot across the street. Unfortunately, two nights ago a fox got in her nest and ate all her eggs. Yesterday I went out to feed them and found Mrs. Mallard had laid another egg in our yard! The egg was on the ground unprotected and unguarded. I was so worried it was going to get eaten, so I started doing some research and last night Ryan built Mrs. Mallard a nest box that should keep her and her eggs safe.
Ryan working on the nest box - he's so creative
The nest box, ready for use
We know there is a slim chance that Mrs. Mallard will use the nest, but I hope if she's going to keep laying eggs that she will use it so her eggs will be safe... only time will tell.







No comments:
Post a Comment
I LOVE reading your comments, thanks for taking the time to leave one!