Monday, April 18, 2011

Circus

The Shrine Circus was in town this weekend. We didn't think Adrianne was really old enough to enjoy the circus so we weren't going to spend the money on tickets; but when a friend called and offered us free tickets, we couldn't pass them up. 

Before the show started the kids could all go down and meet the clowns, ride the elephants, get their faces painted and all sorts of other activities. I took Adrianne down to see one of the clowns - she didn't cry but was a little scared. 
The first big act was the lions and tigers. I was sitting there physically shaking in my seat as I saw three tigers and two lions being unloaded in to this ring. First of all, the fences were short, and then the five cats were sitting on stands that would have made it oh so easy for them to jump over that fence in one easy leap and we were on the fourth row and I was holding a cheeseburger. I was a zookeeper, I know what these animals are capable of, and although they are "trained" they are still wild animals. It was neat watching that man in there with them and what all they would let him do, but I did breathe a huge sigh of relief when the cats were back safely in their crates. 
I think our favorite part of the show was the trapeze artists - they were amazing. At one point, one girl let go of one trapeze and had to flip around and grab another one that her back was to, trusting that her partner let go of it at just the right time so it would be there the second she needed it - just so crazy. One girl performing was only 13 years old - what were her parents thinking? 
It's not a trip to the circus without cotton candy. Adrianne had never had cotton candy or soda before tonight. I hadn't planned on sharing my Dr. Pepper with her, but she might have accidentally had more than I did. She also ate a whole bag of her snacks - talk about a sugar high.
We didn't know our neighbors were going to the circus too, but we ran in to them outside and ended up sitting with them (in the fourth row!). Adrianne absolutely loves Izzy and kept asking to sit with her - they're so sweet. 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE reading your comments, thanks for taking the time to leave one!