Monday, July 27, 2009

River Fishin'

You may have become accustomed to Lindsey contributing to our blog, but it's about time for me to give it a try.

When I was a student at K-State, I spent many hours fishing in the Big Blue River outside of Manhatan. I still consider it my favorite spot and miss fishing in moving water. I've been thinking about fishing the Big Arkansas here in Wichita for quite awhile now and finally gave it a try last Saturday. I convinced my friend Gerry to come along too and we had a great time.

We fished at the Big Arkansas Park near 21st and I-235 in NW Wichita and tried out both nightcrawlers and lures. It's a good thing we brought the nightcrawlers - our lures didn't get any action. I started out by reeling in a couple of carp. They were small for carp, but giants compared to the wimpy crappie I've been catching in the ponds near our house.

After awhile, since Gerry hadn't caught anything but Stick Bass, we decided to move downstream a bit. He cast into some eddies and immediately began getting nibbles. After losing many nightcrawlers and catching a couple tiny Channel Cats the size of hot dogs, Gerry finally reeled in a big Freshwater Drum. Now that's what we were hoping for.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE reading your comments, thanks for taking the time to leave one!